Roman Calendar

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Pause for Reflection

     Following the apparent bombing at the Boston Marathon on April 15th, 2013, I am taking a moment to pause and reflect. My first impressions are of horror and terror, and my instinctive reaction is rage and anger and sorrow. Tranquility shatters easily in such circumstances. And yet, how does a Stoic properly view such things?

     Such an act as this bombing is against all the laws of gods and men. As such, it deserves condemnation. And there should be severe consequences for the parties responsible, to prevent them from ever acting in such a way again, and to deter others from ever behaving in such a way. But justice must be dispassionate, else it is not justice, but rage and revenge. I find myself needing to pause, take a deep breath, calm myself, and remind myself that it is not my part or place to be angry. Just to do what I can to aid those who need aid, and what (little) I can to help bring justice to those who need justice. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment